Missing icons, theme when compiling for HEAD

I'm using gtkmm, but I thought it more likely that my issue is arising slightly lower down the 'library stack'. If this assumption appears obviously wrong, please tell me and I'll take my query to the gtkmm lists. :)

I recently compiled gtkmm HEAD and all its dependencies using jhbuild (to set up a separate development context under /opt/gnome2/ to avoid messing with my stable versions). For reference, asking jhbuild to list what versions of gtkmm's dependencies it will compile yields the following:

jeff meatpopsicle:~/cvs/gnome2/gtk+$ sudo ~/bin/jhbuild list --show-revision gtkmm
libxml2
libxslt
gnome-common
intltool
scrollkeeper (0.3.14)
gtk-doc
glib
libsigc++2 (libsigc-2-0)
glibmm
fontconfig (fc-2_4_branch)
Render
Xrender
cairo-1-0 (1.0.4)
cairomm
Xft
pango
atk
shared-mime-info
gtk+
gtkmm

I seem to recall reading somewhere that no version number listed means it take the most current revision. Is this anywhere near accurate, or complete bollocks? (if it's even relevant)

Compiling my application against the relevant library versions that come with Ubuntu (Dapper) produces the following appearance: http://members.optusnet.com.au/jeffrparsons/xprings_on_gtkmm-28.png

However, compiling against the most recent ones from the gnome CVS repository produces: http://members.optusnet.com.au/jeffrparsons/xprings_on_gtkmm-HEAD.png

It also prints error messages repeatedly (moving over tool buttons etc. produces more) as follows:

root meatpopsicle:~/projects/Xprings/src# ./xprings
(xprings:5897): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading theme icon for stock: Failed to open file '': No such file or directory
(xprings:5897): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
(xprings:5897): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_default_render_icon: assertion `base_pixbuf != NULL' failed
(xprings:5897): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_style_render_icon: assertion `pixbuf != NULL' failed
(xprings:5897): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

[omitted many repititions of the last 5 lines]

If it was failing to find some specific file(s) I'd assume it was something to do with my setup, as the libraries are in an unusual location and so forth, but from a first glance it looks like it doesn't know what it should be loading. I understand that I shouldn't expect  development versions to be completely usable, but if the symptoms look to anybody like something they know, or if anyone knows what I should look into to in order to find a solution, I'd appreciate it. :)

The only change between the two screenshots above is that the latter is compiled from a shell environment set up by "jhbuild shell" to use the new libraries.

Thanks
Jeff