GTK app with XVideo and/or "native" image output support?

Hello,

foreword: please cc me, since I'm not on the list, thanks!

I've got an application emulating old computer hardwares. The old version of
this stuff did anything with "raw" xlib solutions, which makes quite hard to
integrate other UI components (menus, debugger windows etc etc) so I would
like to move the whole stuff under GTK+. However I've got a problem: since
it's an emulator, the output window (well, at least major part of it, since
there is some status bar bottom, and menu bar at the top) is refreshed quite
often (eg: 25fps) which is PAINFULLY slow when using eg
gdk_draw_indexed_image() on a gtk_drawing_area from a buffer (8bpp indexed).
So I'm about finding a better and faster solution. I've discovered that the
best performance would be the solution to render into the format of target
X11 visual, so I don't want to use indexed format or a fixed RGB32
or any similar method, since than GDK should render into the target format
which can be done by me as well more efficiently (the rendering code which
is part of the video hw emulation code deals with RGB values, so I need to
contruct first RGB values, than creating an indexed image as buffer, than
gdk_draw_indexed_image() will render into the target visual, errr ...), also
I may would like to deal with software scaling (eg fullscreen without DGA,
mode switch, and xvideo of course). Also I would introduce XVideo support,
and I don't know how I will do this within a GTK application.

Sorry, my question is probably OT here, but I can't find any solution. There's
quite lots of documentation of GTK but nothing about integration with XVideo,
"raw xlib like access" (well I cannot find better name for this) and likes.

Thanks in advance,

--
- Gábor