Compiling PyGTK on Mac OS X 10.4.6

I'm trying to build PyGTK on Mac OS X Tiger.  Whenever I try to run ./configure for PyGTK I get the following message right at the end:
The following modules will be built:

atk
pango
gtk (without cairo)
gtk.glade

The following modules will NOT be built:

pangocairo.
Why does the pangocairo module fail to compile?  I've already compiled Pango & Cairo to make sure GTK+ would build with Cairo.  Do I need some other dependencies?  I'm trying to compile Transolution on a Revision A iMac G5 with 512 MB of RAM running Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.6 (using two stick of 256 MB DDR memory).   My iMac is also equipped with a SuperDrive & AirPort Extreme card in case the factors into the situation I'm experiencing.  I also have all the latest security updates & such from Apple installed too.  I'm trying to compile PyGTK using Apple's version of GCC 4.0.1.  I'm trying to invoke configure as follows: ./configure --build=powerpc-darwin8.6.0.  I already tried running configure the exact same way with Apple's GCC 3.3 and the outcome was the same.  I've also been wondering how I compile Transolution once all the dependencies are in place.  I know it's a Python app but I know little more than that alone.  Thanks for any help any of you are able to provide.  I'm a very big believer in Open Source Software too.  I use OpenOffice.org, ClamXav, Qemu, Sarien & FreeSCI regularly.