Associating Strings and Variables

As far as I can tell, it seems that this mailing list is also the forum
for glib questions.  Please forgive me if the scope of my question is
not for this mailing list.

Does anyone know of a clever way to associate strings with variables.
Ideally, I would be looking for a set of functions which look like:

void     g_association_set(const gchar *assoc_name,gpointer anything);
gpointer g_association_get(const gchar *assoc_name);

I really hate to re-invent the wheel if someone has already done this.
The idea here is that I can store a value in one function and recall it
later from somewhere else just by a string reference.

Thanks in advance,
Bryan