Adding extra columns to GtkFileChooser

I'm looking to add extra columns to the file chooser in app I've written
such as owner, unix permissions etc but I'm coming up short.

This is one of those things that I suspect may be a faq but
my search-fu has failed to dig anything up except this post to the
gtk-perl list

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-perl-list/2006-February/msg00040.html

Which seems to indicate that perhaps the best way would be to do a
copy of gtk_file_chooser as gtk_file_chooser_with_extra_columns and mess
around with that instead.

Also, is it possible to change the name of a shortcut rather than just
having it be the last fragment of its path?

Sorry if I've missed something screamingly obvious. Or if adding this
kind of functionality is considered verboten un the HIG.

Cheers,

Simon