how to wrk wid colors?

I want to draw adjacent rectangles of different color wid a time delay...
if i use pixmap then whole of the figure will get up instataneoulsy, but i want to show sth like animation...so for that i implemented a function to draw rectangle wid color then i used g_timeout_add(1000,draw_rect, NULL).. now for each successive call i m changing coordinates and alongwid them i m using gdk_gc_set_foreground(gc, &color).. i m not doing anything wid background color but background color is itself changing to foreground color and the lines which are drawing rectangle are of same color as that of filled rectangle.. while i want to draw rectangle in BLACK and wanna fill it wid RED....
I am getting any way out so plz help me..
Thanks and Regards