Re: No Doubts

Richard Boaz wrote:

> I'm not familiar with wxWidget, so I'm afraid I can't comment from a
> true comparison perspective, but I write programs with Gtk+ running
> on LINUX, MAC OS X (X11), and Solaris (a rather complicated affair,
> displaying seismograms in many forms and transforms, i.e., not a
> simple app with a couple of buttons), and I have run into absolutely
> zero multi-platform issues.
>
> IMHO, Gtk+ is ideal for multiple platform applications, whether
> wxWidget is actually better or not, I can't say, but how exactly
> could it be when Gtk+ exhibits zero problems in this regard (that
> I've found)?

E.g. because a GTK+ though X11 app may not be what most
Mac users want to see. The problem is not about drawing
a line (or many lines) on different desktops - you can
probably just as well use Java for that, or any toolkit
or even write your own. The real task is to write an
app which feels like a native app on the respective
platforms. wxWidgets has been written with that idea
in mind from the beginning.

OTOH, much work is currently being done (and will
be done) on GTK+ to make it work well on the three
main platforms as well.

In the end, you will need some work on each platform
to make the user experience perfect, no matter which
toolkit you use. I'm just saying that being able to
open a window and drawing some (maybe very complex)
stuff in it is not an argument for any toolkit.

Also, for porting an application from MFC to whatever
else, wxWidgets is probably hard to beat due to its
vague similarity to the MFC framework,

  Robert