Re: Doubt

Michael Ott wrote:
>> Which one is better to use, GTK+ or wxWidget, to get a fast and easilt
>> portable application among multiple platforms (OS).
> I tested it with GTK+ and it was easy to compile the code under windows.
> Open devc++, open project, import code and compile it. But if you want to
> print with GTK+ under Windows you get problems.
>
> But it is more the question what you want to do and your knowledge. GTK is
> C and wxWidget is C++. This is the great difference. It was easier for me
> to use GTK because i normally write c stuff. But if you come from M$ and
> have much knowledge about VC++ wxWidget will be easier to use

If you're familiar with MS/VC++, especially MFC, wxWidgets will probably
be more comfortable. It has a number of vaguely-MFC-ish design elements
(some might say it reeks of MFC). OTOH, it is built around largely old
C++ (it supports Vis C++ 6, anyway...).

GTKmm lets you do GTK in modern C++. And it feels thorougly C++ - there
hasn't been a time that I can think of when I've thought "oh, that seems
so C...". It integrates with STL classes, provides STL-like iterators,
and does most things in a thoroughly modern C++ manner.  So if you like
modern C++, GTKmm is probably by far your best bet.

GTK's widget and layout models also seem to me to be much more intuitive
than those of wxWidgets (in my experience with wxPython).  I find it a
lot easier to put together my containers, their hierarchy, and add
widgets than I did to set up sizers as wxWidgets requires.

Oh, and if you're in Python, PyGTK seems (to me) much more Pythonic than
PyGTK.

It's quite amazing that GTK feels like a native part of whatever
language it's bound to...

Just my $0.02...
- Michael

--
mouse, n: a device for pointing at the xterm in which you want to type.
                -- Fortune