Re: Naming / Labelling Widgets

On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 17:43 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
its sound to me as if you are coming from a different GUI toolkit and
are attempting to apply a programming model used there to GTK, when in
fact a different model would be more appropriate. i've been using GTK
for 7 years, and i simply never do anything like what you're describing.
what problem are you trying to solve? btw, i do use gtk_widget_set_name
() a lot but that is because it allows me to use RC files for style
settings, nothing more.

My bad (on two accounts). First, my apologies for the change in Subject heading in the previous email. Our stupid spam filter is configured to modify the subject heading.

Second, I think I may have been misled in my understanding of gtk_widget_(set|get)_name(). I just assumed that Glade would set the name of each widget to the name specified in the Name property (aside from just using that as a variable name). Apparently I've misunderstood the use of the GtkWidget name. I thought it referred to the string representation of the GtkWidget type (which it does when not set, I think). Now I'm beginning to think it can be used to ID a widget for programmatic purposes. However, I also see that it is also used in applying to styles to certain widgets.

My question now is "Is it safe to arbitrarily name GtkWidgets using gtk_widget_set_name()?" I mean, are there any effects (like the GtkRcStyle thing) that I should be wary of?
--

Richi Plana