Huge widget sizes exceeding screen width or height

After upgrading some packages, I can no longer use any gtk+ apps
because some widgets are either too tall or too wide.

Examples:

1) gdm login screen isn't usable.  Everything looks OK except for the
middle 'login' part -- I just see a single "stripe" going along the
entire height of the screen (and then some).
2) If I go directly into gnome (bypassing gdm), the gnome panel will
take up the entire height of the screen.
3) Other apps I tried show widgets of the proper height, but going
along past the width of the screen.

Notes:
1) This only seems to affect some widgets that have text on them, so
it appears as if it's allocating a LOT more space than necessary for a
font, but the text itself is printed fine in a normal size font.  For
example, if I start gvim I'll see a cursor that goes across the height
of the screen, but the text will be at the top in a normal size.
2) This one is important to note: if I connect to this box remotely
and launch a gtk+ app on a different display server, the problem still
persists -- so it doesn't appear as if the problem lies in X.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

- Nate Case
(please CC replies, not subscribed)