Gimp menus are black. gdk_window_set_back_pixmap(): pixmap must have a colormap

When I run Gimp the menus have a black background and can't be read and the following error message appears: (gimp:18128): Gdk-WARNING **: gdk_window_set_back_pixmap(): pixmap must have a colormap

I have gtk 2.8.3-7
gimp 2.2.8

Pentium 4 x86-64
SuSE Linux 9.3.

I see that this problem was encountered with gtk 2.8.0,
http://mail.gnome.org/pipermail/gtk-app-devel-list/2005-August/msg00206.html

I was wondering if the bug was supposed to have been fixed in 2.8.3 or do I need to wait for 2.8.4?

Cheers,
Naomi