Problem compiling atk

Hi, I'm trying to compile gtk in a local directory (/home/policy/graphviz).  I first type:

export CFLAGS="-I/home/policy/graphviz/include"
export LDFLAGS="-L/home/policy/graphviz/lib"
export CXXFLAGS=$CFLAGS
export CPPFLAGS=$CXXFLAGS
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/home/policy/graphviz/lib/pkgconfig"

and then go through ./configure --prefix=/home/policy/graphviz, make and make install for each of the packages.

GLib goes fine, pango goes fine.  When I get to atk, I get this error:

Requested 'glib-2.0 >= 2.7.1' but version of GLib is 2.6.6
configure: error: Package requirements (glib-2.0 >= 2.7.1    atk >= 1.0.1    pango >= 1.9.0    cairo >= 0.9.2) were not met.

Alternatively you may set the BASE_DEPENDENCIES_CFLAGS and BASE_DEPENDENCIES_LIBS environment variables
to avoid the need to call pkg-config.  See the pkg-config man page for
more details.
-bash-3.00$

I'm doing this on a shared host, and it's obviously finding the default GLib install, not the new one I installed.  Any idea why it isn't working?  When I try and configure gtk, it fails trying to find GLib as well, although pango found it just fine for some reason.

Any help would be appreciated!

-Andrew