Re: so, is this claim about pango still true? or does nobody actually care?

On 10/14/05, Paul Davis <paul linuxaudiosystems com> wrote:

> is this still true? does anybody care? is there a way to avoid pango
> entirely and still get AA fonts inside GTK2? will this ever be fixed
> before everyone is using h/w acceleration to print button labels?

If you don't actually need any of the fancy features Pango provides,
bi-directional text, paragraphs and whatnot, you might just as well
use Xft2 directly. It requires a bit more code, but with the Nokia 770
VKB implementation we measured roughly 50% reduction in the time it
takes to redraw the whole layout (buttons with single-character
labels)

In widget expose handler it's relatively simple matter to call
XftDrawCreate + XftDrawString* + XftDrawDestroy instead of pango
functions.

--
Tommi Komulainen                                 tommi komulainen iki fi