Full redraw of root window

Hi,

Is is possible for gtk to force a redraw of the entire root window. With gnome 2.10 on Fedora Core at least, when I draw to the root window using gdk_draw_line with the drawable being the gdk_root_parent, a call to

gdk_window_invalidate_rect (gdk_root_parent, default_pointer, True)
          gdk_window_process_updates (gdk_root_parent, True)

does not remove the line, is there a way I can force the root window to redraw itself and all of its children and therefore remove any drawings that I have drawn using gdk_root_parent.

Thanks for your time

Ian King