Re: Gtk Win32 cross-development with installer

Hi there,

Jeff Bonggren wrote:

> I'm looking for a way to build GTK apps for Win32 using either Linux or
> Cygwin as a development environment.  I also need an easy way to install
> the many files needed for the GTK runtime on user systems.

I am making my gtk application for windows on linux machine.
For this I use mingw cross compiler and gtk package from
http://gladewin32.sourceforge.net/ . Packages from there are
working, an have nice installer, i.e. it's a good thing to recommend
to users.
In this way i make windows binaries in the same way as unix ones.
I am using a script which sets correct environment variables like
CC and PKG_CONFIG_PATH, so the build process looks like
./mingw-configure; make .
I do the same thing also to build cygwin binaries; and I also
make installers using Inno Setup and wine. Everything works
just great.

> I want the
> GTK runtime files to be built using the same development environment
> (not using VC++, etc).

Don't know about this, I have never tried to build gtk for windows.
But why do you need this? Think of user who already has xchat or gaim,
or whatever gtk program installed. He will not appreciate your
own gtk libraries; you better think of your application (of course,
usual stuff about gtk versions applies, but it's a common problem
of binary distribution, and it just can't be solved).
Try gladewin32 packages, they are great. Besides, they also contain
libglade inside, and I don't know what else.

Regards,
Yevgen