Unforgiving GtkEntry

Hi,

I've discovered a problem that I can't really determine if it is a bug or intended.

I have a entry in which I insert some text using gtk_entry_set_text().
Unfortunately it happened that it was not completely UTF-8 - one of the characters in the middle was not UTF-8.

Okay, I get a warning - that is absolutely fair. No doubt, an invalid string was given to the GtkEntry.

I tried afterwards in the GUI to delete the text and enter a new text and read the text using gtk_entry_get_text(). I printed the text and discovered that the invalid characters were present in the read text! This may be correct seen from the point of view that I was only able to delete the characters I could actually see displayed in the entry, but on the other hand, the gtk_entry_get_text() should return an UTF-8 string I would expect.

I also tried to overwrite the invalid text with a new shorter, but correct UTF-8 text string using gtk_entry_set_text(). When I read the text using gtk_entry_get_text() I still got some invalid characters back from the previous erroneous text.
I this in any way correct behaviour?

So the situation is quite locked after entering an invalid string, is that intended?

Best regards
Egon Andersen