Stock icons on Windows

Hello there. I'm using GTK 2.6.4, and if I try to use stock icons (for example, calling a message dialog), I have a g_strsplit: assertion `string != NULL' failed. This only fails under Win98; on WinXP everything works OK. I'm currently bound to 2.6, so I can't downgrade. I've been reading this list and they mention the problem here and there. Is there anyone working on this? Will it be fixed in the near time? Is Win98 supported at all?
Thank you in advance,

Leandro Fanzone