Drawing higher depth images

Is it possible to use Gdk drawing functions (gdk_draw_arc(),
etc.) to draw images of higher depth than system and save
them?

I can save GdkPixbufs.  If there were drawing primitives in
gdk-pixbuf, it would be everything I need.  However I can
draw only on GdkDrawables.

To use gdk_pixbuf_get_from_drawable() I need a colormap.

To create a colormap I need a visual.

And I can get only visuals with depths returned by
gdk_query_depths(), that is system visual.  If it's 16 or
even 8 bpp, I have to use that.

Or is there any other method to draw true color images?
(Except using other libraries like Cairo, which currently is
no option for me).

TIA,

Yeti