Unanswered questions

Have I broken a social rule? I've asked a few questions, and one of them got a very helpful answer (actually, several). Then I posted a question asking what the calls were to do several things, and that wasn't answered, and I wondered if I came across as "please do my work for me." Then I posted a question asking what a good way to approach things would be, as opposed to trying to make GTK function like another environment, and that wasn't answered. Then one or two more posts, and I asked what was wrong with code I was trying to use to display a menu bar at the top of a window--and that seemed to be a modest request instead of asking people to do my work for me, one which should have an answer like "Here's why you want to change 'if (x = 1)' to use a double equals."

I've just gone through and removed 2.4.9 from my system (which had been installed over 2.6.7) and forcibly reinstalled 2.6.7 so that there wouldn't be subtle problems from inconsistent versions. The last code I posted, under the subject "Getting menu to show," crashes with exactly the same (diagnostic) output as before I did this.

Are there other things I should know about posting to this list?

--
++ Jonathan Hayward, jonathan hayward pobox com
** To see an award-winning website with stories, essays, artwork,

** If you'd like a Google Mail ( gmail.com) account, please tell me!