[Fwd: Re: GTK+ 2 speed]

--- Begin Message ---
Hi:

Based on my experience with GTK+, widgets drawing could be more slow because
all widgets are double-buffered, however, if you're not interested in that feature,
you can always use gtk_widget_set_double_buffered() to disable it.

Pango is very slow, and I don't know any way to improve speed. May be the new Pango libraries with cairo support would help, but I'm not sure at all. You could
directly use Xlib font drawing.

However, not all is "slowliness" with GTK+, some operations with glib, and some
GTK+ widgets perform better than, for example the equivalent QT ones.

Depending on the kind of project you want to develop, you will find advantages or
disadvantages using GTK+.

Regards,

D. Campos

Robert Thorpe escribi�>Users of PCB are attempting to find out why parts of the GTK+ version
gPCB are slower than the Athena version.  Also, I'm beginning to write a
graphical program and deciding which widget set to use, so I'm
interested in the same issue.

To help us both, it would be useful if anyone knowledgable on this list
could answer a couple of questions: -

* Are there any general reasons why GTK is slower than other widget
libraries?
- Is it in fact slower, or is it just common mis-configurations?
- What if Pango is not extensively used?

* Also, is it true that GTK must handle many events by performing long
string comparison operations?  Does this cause a slowdown?

Thanks