GTK+ 2 speed

Users of PCB are attempting to find out why parts of the GTK+ version
gPCB are slower than the Athena version.  Also, I'm beginning to write a
graphical program and deciding which widget set to use, so I'm
interested in the same issue.

To help us both, it would be useful if anyone knowledgable on this list
could answer a couple of questions: -

* Are there any general reasons why GTK is slower than other widget
libraries?
- Is it in fact slower, or is it just common mis-configurations?
- What if Pango is not extensively used?

* Also, is it true that GTK must handle many events by performing long
string comparison operations?  Does this cause a slowdown?

Thanks