Re: Beginner difficulty with first tutorial program

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 19:37:11 CDT, Jonathan Hayward said:
> I went to gtk.org <http://gtk.org> and somewhat naively followed the
> documentation saying to install from a specified ftp server. I didn't check
> to see what was installed.

Note to the web maintainer:  Please add:

Step 0: Check if your system already has a usable version..

section to the installation directions.  We certainly get enough questions
where people break their systems doing it themselves when the vendor already
ships a sane version (most Linux distros?) or there's a well-known 3rd party
site (like sun freeware)...

Johnathan:  I'm not sure exactly what it will take to fix your system (mostly
because I don't know how you configured the paths on your 2.4.9 install), but
re-installing the Fedora versions might help.  You'll need disks 1 and 3
of the install disks (or the single DVD or a network install server).

Get gtk2-2.6.7-4.i386.rpm from disk 1, and gtk2-devel-2.6.7-4.i386.rpm from disk 3.
Copy them both into a directory someplace, then:

rpm -Uvh --force gtk2-*.rpm

to re-install both on your system, and then re-run up2date or yum to get any
fixes since then.  This is only a *partial* fix - you'll need somebody to
figure out what files the 2.4.9 install put on that weren't replaced by the RPM,
and which you'll have to track down and clean up by hand...