IPC with Gtk+

I am currently working on a few ideas that will enable me to communicate
with dual port memory using an SBS616 VME to PCI adapter card.  The Gtk GUI
part is done and I am now working on the interprocess communication
necessary to use the dual port memory.  My first attempt will be to run a
thread that is started before gtk_main() and after all the GUI widgets have
been constructed.  All the label widgets that will display data via
label_set_text() will have arrays of pointers to the label widgets so that
the dualport thread can update these "data" labels.  I don't think adding a
timer to do the updating is a good idea since I will have no control or
resource access as I would using mutex and condition variables.  If anyone
has any feedback on this subject of IPC with gtk and another thread similar
to what I am doing please feel free to put forth any ideas -- any feedback
is better than none.
Sydney