Re: enviornment variables

Abhishek Misra wrote:
Hello,

as recomended i tried to set the following enviornment variables.

CPPFLAGS
LDFLAGS
PKG_CONFIG_PATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH

to my surprise i get error st. command not found

on running printenv or env
the list of variavle,value that i get does not include any of these

on running env CPPFLAGS="xyz"
this variable,value does gets added to the end of the list but on running env again , it is again missing from the list

man env says run COMMAND after setting the value this too is not improving the situation

please let me know where could the problem lie.
The answer is: "Your variable is not exported, so you see it in the shell session you started with 'env CPPFLAGS="xyz"' and it gets lost when the session ends". But you have to read some docs to understand this.

Please read the following document:
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginners-Guide/html/index.html
Especially this chapter/section (this is about variables):
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginners-Guide/html/chap_03.html
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginners-Guide/html/sect_03_02.html
And than this (this is about where variables need to be put to):
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginners-Guide/html/sect_03_01.html

If you use the different shell, please spend 1 minute to find documentation with google.

	Olexiy