forcing a a widget_queue_draw

Hi all.
This is an example, but there are many cases when I want to do something similar:

Suppose that I change the state of a toggle button with gtk_toggle_button_set_active or gtk_widget_set_state. The widget just wont draw properly until I move the mouse pointer over it forcing an expose event. What's going on? in gtk-1 I would simply call gtk_widget_draw, but now, event calling gtk_widget_queue_draw, the widget won't update. Can anyone explain it to me, please?

Thanks!
<ADRIAN>