2.4 Vs 2.6 Button Label Size/Padding

It seems the way buttons render has changed between GTK2.4(Fedora Core2)
and GTK2.6(Fedora Core3).  With 2.6, the button label is positioned one
pixel lower in the button and the label requested height is one pixel
shorter.  It also appears that the text inside the label is one pixel
lower.  All this results in 2 less pixels of text rendering space inside
a button.

I'm trying to figure out if I tighten up the button label rendering,
allowing me to have small buttons.  I've checked the container border
width for the button and its zero on both systems.  I'm thinking it
might be the focus-padding, but I'm at a loss how to actually look at
this value since I don't understand how the Gvalue the get_property()
returns work.

I'm specifically setting the height of a button to 20 pixels high and
setting the font to "Bitstream Vera Sans 8".  It looks fine on my Fedora
Core2 box, but on a Fedora Core3 system its clipping letters with
descenders.  After examining screen shots from both systems, the font is
fine, but the label is rendering different.

All suggestions welcome.