problems after upgrade from gtk+-1.2 to gtk+-2.4

Hello, I installed rh9, and was using gtk+-1.2 rpm that comes with it.

I went for an upgrade of gtk+-1.2 (rpm version) to gtk+-2.6 (tarball version).
As Pango 1.8 (required for gtk+-2.6) seems to be buggy for me, I finally went for an
install of gtk+-2.4 (tarball version).
I went for a total uninstallation of the following packages,
gtk-1.2, glib-1.2, as well as pango, atk, tiff, pkg-config.
I decided to uninstall all these packages because I had conflicts while installing
nicotine, that requires glib-2.0

I installed new versions of these packages
pkgconfig-0.15.0
libpng-1.2.8
glib-2.6
tiff-v3.6.1
atk-1.9.0
pango-1.4.0
gtk+-2.4.8

using with following process:
$./configure --prefix=/usr; make
$su root
#make install; ldconfig

But I have now the following problems:

1st problem) Many of my applications used libgtk-1.2.so.0 librairies, and complain
about it. I tried to reinstall the libgtk+-1.2 rpm package, but it depends on glib-1.
2 package no installed. Do I have to reinstall all these packages, or can the new
libraries be used (creating links of the libgtk-1.2.so.0 to the new one) ?
How can I solve the problem ??

2nd problem) when I try to startx as a user (run level at boot is set to 3), I have
the message errror:
Fatal server error:
PAM authentication failed, cannot start X server.
        Perhaps you do not have console ownership?

I read in a redhat forum that someone had solved his problem doing
# touch /var/lock/console/USERNAME
as root, USERNAME being the name of the user that cannot start x server.
I found a file /var/run/console/console.myuserbame, that had been erased (could
find using locate but did not exist anymore).
Following the advise, but it didn't solve my problem.

Could anyone give me suggestions ?

Tkanks, Xavier.

3615 LAPOSTENET (0,34?/mn) ; tél : 08 92 68 13 50 (0,34?/mn)