Memory Leaks

I think this is more of a general C/C++ question, but I'll try
here. My problem is that as my application runs longer, the memory
usage slowly creeps up higher and higher. For example, if I call
my Environment Settings dialog five times in a row, each time it
uses more memory.

Now this makes sense except that I am hiding the dialog and then
using g_free() to free the memory that was allocated by the dialog
after each hide. It sort of becomes a problem after a while
because too much memory is being used, although this threshold
usually doesn't appear for a few hours.

I know I am probably just being ignorant, but I've never programmed
any application that was large enough that I had to worry about
memory allocation at all. Thanks for any help you can give me!

---
Andrew Krause