Pango 1.9.1 problemo building on Mac OS X 10.4

Hi there. Hope this isn't a FAQ, or I'll feel silly. I'd so much like to compile Pango 1.9.1 on Mac OS X 10.4.2, it just won't go for me. I like to think that I know how to install software, but then the compiler screams at me and I have to run crying to the mailing list to kiss it and make it better.

The real goal here is to have Graphviz 2.4 generating antialiased graphs using the new Graphviz Cairo plugin. This has led me through a bunch of dependencies, and I'm installing all of it in $HOME/graphviz for the moment. So far I've got Graphviz 2.4, libpixman 0.1.6, Cairo 0.6.0, GLib 2.7.6 and ATK 1.9.0 compiled and installed in there. Where I'm stuck is that the Graphviz Cairo plugin needs GTK+, which needs Pango, which is throwing a fit.

I should also mention that I have DarwinPorts installed, hopefully fulfilling some remaining dependencies, like gettext. I'd install everything with DarwinPorts if I could, only these fresh versions aren't yet available there.

To set up the build environment, I took an example from the section "How do I compile something myself using Fink-installed software?" here:

http://fink.sourceforge.net/faq/usage-general.php

And I adapted it, changing from Fink's /sw to DarwinPorts' /opt/local:

export CFLAGS="-I/opt/local/include -I$HOME/graphviz/include"
export LDFLAGS="-L/opt/local/lib -L$HOME/graphviz/lib"
export CXXFLAGS=$CFLAGS
export CPPFLAGS=$CXXFLAGS
export ACLOCAL_FLAGS="-I/opt/local/share/aclocal -I$HOME/graphviz/ share/aclocal" export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/opt/local/lib/pkgconfig:$HOME/graphviz/lib/ pkgconfig"
export PATH="$HOME/graphviz/bin:$PATH"

I hope I got all that right. Then, in the pango-1.9.1 directory, I did this:

./configure --prefix=$HOME/graphviz
make

The stderr output of "make" is lots of this:

powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.0: unrecognized option '-pthreads'

and also this:

pango-utils.c: In function 'pango_is_zero_width':
pango-utils.c:1745: warning: suggest parentheses around comparison in operand of &
ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _locale_charset
/opt/local/lib/libiconv.dylib(localcharset.o) definition of _locale_charset /opt/local/lib/libintl.dylib(localcharset.o) definition of _locale_charset
ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _locale_charset
/opt/local/lib/libiconv.dylib(localcharset.o) definition of _locale_charset /opt/local/lib/libintl.dylib(localcharset.o) definition of _locale_charset
pangofc-fontmap.c: In function 'pango_fc_font_map_list_families':
pangofc-fontmap.c:676: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'is_alias_family' differ in signedness pangofc-fontmap.c:679: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'g_strdup' differ in signedness
pangofc-fontmap.c: In function 'pango_fc_make_pattern':
pangofc-fontmap.c:824: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 3 of 'FcPatternAddString' differ in signedness
pangofc-fontmap.c: In function 'pango_fc_face_list_sizes':
pangofc-fontmap.c:1739: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 3 of 'FcPatternAddString' differ in signedness pangofc-fontmap.c:1740: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 3 of 'FcPatternAddString' differ in signedness
pangofc-fontmap.c: In function 'pango_fc_family_list_faces':
pangofc-fontmap.c:1910: warning: pointer targets in assignment differ in signedness pangofc-fontmap.c:1912: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of 'create_face' differ in signedness
pangoft2.c: In function 'pango_ft2_font_get_face':
pangoft2.c:219: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of 'load_fallback_face' differ in signedness
ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _locale_charset
/opt/local/lib/libiconv.dylib(localcharset.o) definition of _locale_charset /opt/local/lib/libintl.dylib(localcharset.o) definition of _locale_charset
ld: multiple definitions of symbol ___moddi3
/usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc.a(_moddi3.o) private external definition of ___moddi3 in section (__TEXT,__text) /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_s.dylib(_moddi3.o) definition of ___moddi3
/usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
make[4]: *** [libpangoft2-1.0.la] Error 1
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

I'm hoping that the _locale_charset errors in my iconv and gettext DarwinPorts are not fatal, since they're shown multiple times. The ___moddi3 problem looks somehow more ominous, as it's in libraries that were provided by Apple.

Anyone see anything they recognize? I'd appreciate any suggestions or pointers.