Telling a scrolled_window to scroll down

I am trying to set a vadjustment's value to make a scrolled_window scroll all the way down. The lines of code I have are:

    scrolled_window = gtk_scrolled_window_new(NULL, NULL);
    scrolled_window_vertical_adjustment =
      gtk_scrolled_window_get_vadjustment(scrolled_window);

    /* set policy etc. and put a vbox of labels in. Then after
     * adding each label:
     */

    gtk_adjustment_set_value(GTK_ADJUSTMENT(
      scrolled_window_vertical_adjustment), 1.0f);

At present my program doesn't scroll down even when there are enough labels to make scrolling down possible. (I also tried setting an adjustment value of 0.0f and that didn't work.)

How should I change this so I can scroll the window all the way down?

TIA,
--
++ Jonathan Hayward, jonathan hayward pobox com
** To see an award-winning website with stories, essays, artwork,

** If you'd like a Google Mail (gmail.com) account, please tell me!