Re: antialiased drawing primitives (lines, arcs) possible ?

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 09:47:05PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> >unfortunately the effect of reducing the "stair effect" is not that much bette
> >r ;(
>
> the AA canvas draws curves as smoothly as anything i've ever seen.

Then I guess you have never seen my program that creates a rendering
at 10x the resolution and then downsamples using a gaussian kernel.
As close to optics as you can get. ;-) Actually one of the problems
of most AA systems is that they just do a block average. It would look
better if the average would be more centered like a gaussian kernel,
or its equivalent descrete version a binomials (like in Pascal's)
triangle. I wonder if there is any HW support for that.

> >(i want to make a ballon message window (for the system tray) with round
> >corners. and the corners look a little bit ugly...)

I guess the problem here is that in order to have a window that look
smooth you must have antialiased support on the X-window level, which
is currently not supported by most x-servers. You could try to grab
an image of the background though and paint on top of that by either
lgpl_art or cairo.

> that is a completely different issue.
>
> --p

Dov