Re: font info missing on X.org gtk 2.4.14

On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 16:10 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> >XLFD fonts have not been meaningfully supported for a *long* time
> >in GTK+. I don't immediately what in your program no longer works,
> >but it's not something we are going to fix.
> >
> >If you really have a pressing need for 1986-era font technology,
> >use Xlib directly.
>
> i don't believe this is an error in GTK/GDK ... it works just fine
> using GTK1.2 on XFree86, but not GTK1.2 on X.org.

Ah, didn't see that part of the report, just the part about 2.4.14,
where I wouldn't particularly expect the code to work due to
a complete lack of testing.

> i entirely agree with you about the agedness of XLFD, but
> GTK1.2/XFree86 systems don't allow us to use new font descriptions
> without requiring a lot of work on the part of the user, and there is
> no way i know of to describe a font that is unambiguous in both
> worlds.
>
> we are moving to GTK2 shortly, and will be using newer names then;
> the meantime, i see no reason why the gtk rc file used on
> gtk1.2/xfree86 should break on gtk1.2/X.org. do you?
>
> perhaps by "we", you meant X.org, rather than the GTK project?

No, I didn't. I'm not aware of any changes that matter here.

X fonts should still work as before. (There are some changes to the
fontset configuration, but you are using gdk_font_load(), not
gdk_fontset_load().)

Unfortunately, I haven't touched a XLFD in a couple of years and
really don't remember that part of the code, so I can't help you
much.

If it is a TrueType font, there are some changes to the way TrueType
fonts are loaded in the server, so maybe you want to poke around
there.

Regards,
   					  Owen