Configuring Pango

Dear All,

I am very new to Linux, so please excuse my ignorance.

I am trying to install the gtk toolkit, however I am having problems.

I have downloaded the latest Glib libraries, and have successfully
configured and built them. I then tried to run ./configure in the
pango directory. However, I keep getting the following:
configure: error:
*** Glib 2.5.7 or better is required. The latest version of
*** Glib is always available from ftp://.gtk.org/.

I am using Glib 2.6.4, and do not understand this error message. What
can I do to correct it?

You help is gratefully received.

Regards,

Lju