GTK+ 2.6.2 and themes

hi,

i have recently installed GTK+ 2.6.2 for development on top of the 2.0
version pre-installed by the friendly redhat people and ever since, each
time i start up my program, gtk complains so:

Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "bluecurve"

now, this doesn't seem to me to be a very terribly interesting problem,
however, i can do nothing to solve it.  i have tried all recommendations
(GTK_PATH variable, setting my .gtkinit file, renaming it to .gtkini-2.0,
etc. ad nauseum).

is there something silly i'm missing?  it only began once 2.6.2 was
installed, so there's obviously a link.

any idea?  or can someone point me to the proper place of documentation
that has a full discussion of themes, installation, config, etc.?

thanks in advance,

richard boaz