Window update while handling signals

Hi there!

I'm facing a little problem writing a GUI for a C++ programm in Solaris 9 with GTK 1.2.
When pressing a button, the attached function is called correctly. But my application window only updates after the function has finished.

Imagine I have a function writing some text to a GtkTextView. Then I wait for 5 seconds and write some text again.
When the function is called nothing happens for 5 seconds and then both texts are printed out together.

I've allready read about some possibilities to force a window update. But that does not work in my case because the forced update would be part of the called function
and would, like the text writing, take effect only after the function exits.

I could not find anything dealing with such a problem until now and I desperately need a solution to this.
The functions behind my buttons take a while to finish exectution and I just cannot afford to make the users wait without getting progress messages.

Thanks in advance!

Alex