A simple GdkDrawingArea question

I followed the tutorial found on the gtk page to draw a simple widget
on screen, but it uses graphic contexts from the widget background and
foreground definition (widget->style->white_gc or
widget->style->fg_gc[GTK_WIDGET_STATE (widget)]. But that's not what I
want.

I've been playing with the graphic contexts, with the gdk colors and
so. But I really don't need all of this. All I want is to draw a not
filled rectangle from one color (for example black or white) with a
text inside (in the same color as the rectangle) over a background of
another color. For example, draw a black rectangle with black text
over a red background.
I have written this on GtkCairo because it's easier, it doesn't use
graphic contexts, only colors to draw some figures, but I don't want
to include all the GtkCairo and Cairo itself on my application only to
do that.
Could someone tell me how could I make that, or instead, give me a
link to a good tutorial of GtkDrawingArea or Graphic contexts usage?
Thanks in advance.