Re: gtk font problem?

On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 10:58:39AM +0100, Jeremy Henty wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 04:30:40PM -0400, Daniel Nilsson wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 08:59:58AM -0700, Robert Watkins wrote:
> > >
> > > How can I remove the gtk installations (plus dependencies) and start
> > > again?
> >
> > This is the whole reason behind using package managers to install
> > software...
>
> Out of general interest, if you've built from source and kept the
> build tree, why not "make uninstall"?  It works for me, at least for
> autoconf-ed source.  Is there a gotcha I'm missing?  If so I'd like to
> know before I shoot myself in the foot.

For one thing the uninstall target doesn't always exist...

Second, you don't know if the software you installed from sources into
/usr overwrote some file(s) from some package. Now that you
uninstalled the software built from sources, how do you know which
packages to reinstall to get things working again ?

Third, dependencies... If you install libraries from sources into /usr
and make that available system wide that way you will sooner or later
run into trouble when some package depends on some version of this
library. It's also not easy to remember 6 months later exactly what
version you put into /usr and you're most likely going to be sorry.

Building and installing software from sources and putting it in a tree
outside of /usr is acceptable to me if you can keep up with the
version control manually.

--
Daniel Nilsson