Re: Drawing on the root window

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 10:18:57 -0500
Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 12:08 -0300, Joao Victor wrote:
> > Hello folks,
> >
> > I'm trying to draw on the root window using the gtk API, but with no
> > success. Basically this is what i'm trying to do:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > But it doesn't happen anything. Could somebody please help me?
>
> If you are running a file manager like Nautilus or Konqueror, it will
> use a big window that covers the real root window.
>
> Regards,
> 						Owen

Hi,
latest root-tail [1] version includes a workaround to the problem, but it is a hack.
>From its ChangeLog:

1.2  Fri Jul 30 21:31:42 CEST 2004
	- [...]
	- add hack to support nautilus (not very stable, nautilus should
          either use extended window manager hints or __SWM_VROOT, as everybody
          else does).

[1] http://www.goof.com/pcg/marc/root-tail.html

--
Luca