Bindings and accelerators

How are supposed to be handled conflicts between bindings in gtkrc and
accelerators from the application?

I use Ctrl-W to backward delete words all the time, so I have the following
binding for TextEntry and TextView:

	bind "<ctrl>w" { "delete-from-cursor" (word-ends, -1) }

But some applications have accelerators on Ctrl-W, especially some "close
window" function, and these accelerators seem to override the binding. And
some applications somehow disable the changing of accelerators (I have
"gtk-can-change-accels = 1") (XChat does that, for example, I did not find
how it does that in the source).

Am I condamned to inadvertently close my window every five minutes typing
Ctrl-W, or is there some way to have the bindings have priority over the
accelerators?

Regards.

--
  Nicolas George