Treeview selected line forreground color

The Linux kernel has a configuration utility, gconfig, which uses two
Treeview widgets. On my system, the utility is completely unusable
because the selected items have black text on dark blue background.

I am not a regular gtk programmer, but I took some time to look into the
issue, doing some RTMF'ing and strace'ing the utility to make sure I
understood what gtkrc files the utility was reading.

I could not find it had other relevant resources than
/usr/share/themes/Bluecurve/gtk-2.0/gtkrc, where I found

   style "bluecurve-default"
   {
     bg[SELECTED]    = "#4464ac"
     base[SELECTED]  = "#4464ac"
     text[SELECTED]  = "#ffffff"
     fg[SELECTED]    = "#ffffff"
   }
   style "bluecurve-tree" = "bluecurve-default"
   {
     xthickness = 2
     ythickness = 2
   }
   widget_class "*.GtkTreeView.GtkButton" style "bluecurve-tree"

(When are the 'base' and 'text' values used?)

>From this I read that the selected item(s) should have white text on
blue background. Obviously I must be missing something, and I think I
could use some tips.

What should I be looking for?

Have anyone of you tried the same utility with different results?

Could you suggest another (preferably small) utility that has a
treeview, just to see if that one too comes up with black on blue in
selected items?

Thanks,
Enrique