Serial data to a gtk window

I probably should have asked this earlier, but I wanted to do some
research first. Unfortunately I just seem a bit more confused after
finding out a couple of things.

I have an app, with several windows.

I want to take some serial input (or a file with asynchronous data
coming in if you prefer) and print it out as text in the window.

This thread:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-list/1999-July/msg00001.html
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-list/1999-July/msg00002.html

Points to gdk_input_add()

But I couldn't find any reference to gdk_input_add in any of my
books. When I found it online:

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gdk/gdk-Input.html
It says:
Warning

gdk_input_add is deprecated and should not be used in newly-written
code.

It pointed me to g_io_channel_* but I haven't been able to find a good
explanation of how that works, or how to use it. Pointers to good
reference material would be greatly appreciated.

   Larry
   lrc red4est com