Simple configure problem building glib on Irix

I have installed gettext but ./configure apparently is failing to find libintl (on IRIX 6.5.24m) and I'm not sure how to force configure to find it. It also failed to find libintl.h until I copied it to the local directory (this doesn't work with the library though). The failure:

checking locale.h presence... yes
checking for locale.h... yes
checking for LC_MESSAGES... yes
checking libintl.h usability... yes
checking libintl.h presence... yes
checking for libintl.h... yes
checking for dgettext in libc... no
checking for bindtextdomain in -lintl... no
checking if -liconv is needed to use gettext...
checking for dcgettext in -lintl... no
configure: error:
*** You must have either have gettext support in your C library, or use the
*** GNU gettext library. (http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/gettext.html

I set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /usr/local/lib where libintl.a is located, and I found the following test code in the configure script:

char dcgettext ();
int
main ()
{
dcgettext ();
;
return 0;
}

I can compile this short snip with "cc foo.c /usr/local/lib/libintl.a" so my library appears to be functional, but I can't decipher enough of the configure script to determine why it's not finding the library correctly. I assume the fix is simple... but I haven't figure it out. What am I doing wrong? I've tried feeding configure both the SGI and GNU compilers and tried glib 2.2.3 and 2.4.1.

Thanks,
Eric