It is fonts yet again

I used the pango font_name to set the fonts of almost all of the
widgets in my program.

However, the menu fonts are immune to change.

I've tried just about every thing I could think of to set the font
using the gtkrc file, however, they stubbornly refuse to change.

I have 48 "buttons" in a table. Any time I click on one of them I want
to be able to choose from three choices: manual, auto on, or auto off.

It is implemented as a 2 x 24 table.
Each item in the table is a menu.

All is well and good. They are of the size, color and font that I want
(for now anyways).

When I click on each of these menus (menus of one item), It brings up
a menu of three items. Which is how it should be. It's just that the
submenu is of a smaller font than I want.

Are fonts controlled differently in submenus than they are elsewhere?