Re: Now it's fonts

On Wed, 12 May 2004 01:52:23 +0200, Sven Neumann said:

> You might find this document useful:
>
>  http://www.gimp.org/unix/fonts.html
>
> This is about setting up fonts for GIMP but most of this applies to
> font configuration for any GTK+ application.

Yeah I've seen equivalent info before, the three parts I was getting bit by were:

a) I had a Tk/Tcl based app (exmh, my mail reader), which added freetype support.
b) I had a nice selection of bitmap-based fonts that freetype didn't like..
c) I had no way to answer "which <bleeping> fonts would look best here?" - there
was no way to do the equiv of running 'xfontsel' and seeing which fonts
were available in a usable state....

It's hard to decide if Bitstream Vera Sans Mono is a suitable replacement for
a font, when you can't easily tell you *HAVE* that font.. ;)