configure can't find libjpeg.so

Howdy,

New to this list. I actually subscribed but haven't rec'd the (automated)
response yet. So feel free to reply to me directly. If I get a solution I'll
post a summary.

Trying to configure gtk+-2.4.1 on Tru64 5.1B unix. Configure exits with:

checking for tiffio.h... yes
checking for jpeg_destroy_decompress in -ljpeg... no
configure: WARNING: *** JPEG loader will not be built (JPEG library not
found) ***
configure: error:
*** Checks for JPEG loader failed. You can build without it by passing
*** --without-libjpeg to configure but some programs using GTK+ may
*** not work properly
bash-2.05b#

Libjpeg.so is buried in /opt/java131/jre/lib/alpha/libjpeg.so, with a link
to it from /usr/shlib/libjpeg.so. But it definitely is there, I installed it
yesterday.

I spotted a prior thread on this but it ended with the user not having had
libjpeg.so anywhere on his computer; that is not the case with me.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike
otyugh sbcglobal net