gtk-2.4.1 Installation

I have installed gtk-2.4.1 on my RedHat 9.0 system. It was necessary to use

to get the various packages to config. The default of "/usr/local/ seems to contain valid files and including the "*.pc". After which I was able to build and run
a short item factory menu program. There are 2 (today) problems:

1. The example source files are looking for <config.h> which does not
exist in the gtk include directories.

2. I would like to setup the radio buttons in the item_factory with default values
rather than the static order from the list.