Most Effiecient way to loop Images

I am displaying a loop of pixbufs on 1/2 second intervals that are full
screen size.  At this size (1280 X 1024) on a 1/2 second loop I am
finding I am using a lot of prcessor utilization to do it.  I use
gtk_widget_queue_draw to schedule the update then gdk_draw_pixbuf to
perform the update of the drawable.  Is there a more efficient way to do
this?, becuase I will be running 3 other screens with loops of pixbufs
as well, not at that fast of an interval though.

Thanks,
Matt