Wanting terminal-like behavior from a Gtk_Text_View widget

I am attempting to write a GTK application that not only uses GUI input from
various widgets but also has an area for the user to type in commands and be
shown text output.  I was thinking that a gtk_text_view widget could be used
for this.

Essentially I want an area that is almost like a terminal screen, that is
something along the lines of what one would do with no GUI present like
printing out questions to stdout and getting input from stdin.  The previous
output (and input) would remain in the window and eventually scroll off but
not be editable.  I would like the arrow keys to bring up previous commands
(kind of like tcsh).  In response to a command from the user, the code may
have to print out a question requesting further information from the user.

I assume such a thing can be done with a text_view widget.  Just have to get a
lot of the logic right.  Since I am fairly new to the GTK API, I asking if
anyone has something like this already set up or if there is some application
out there that has something like this that I can utilize or look at.