Preventing a GtkWindow from redrawing

Hi,

Is there any way to prevent a titled GtkWindow from redrawing its entire contents when I change the layout within so as to prevent a user from seeing the unsightly redraw? I've tried gdk_window_freeze_updates but this doesn't seem to do anything.

The reason I need this is for the correct setting of splitter positions of GtkPaned widgets, as by default Gtk does all of its sizing upon idle I have to force resizing by looping on gtk_main_iteration until all pending resizes have completed. If gtk_container_set_resize_mode (container_widget, GTK_RESIZE_IMMEDIATELY) was stable then I would use that. At the moment I have to add the widgets to the mapped parent, make gtk do all the pending gtk sizing, and then query the size of the widget, this leads to the unsightly redraw...

Thanks for your time

Ian