Re: Windows, shareware and GTK

Alexander Ulianov <uav urmail ru> writes:

> 1). Is Win32-app with GTK+ going to be stable? My main 2-D graphics
> app for windows is GIMP 1.2.0. It works well but it crashes quite
> often. OTOH it is an old version, and my program is much less complex
> than GIMP.

Try and see.  It's been stable for my usage of it (2.2.4), but if
there's a particular thing that is buggy, then you can either fix it
or avoid it.

> 2). How large will be the runtime? The code which uses just API is
> going to be just about 300k large; however, with all bitmap resources
> this will be more like 1.5M. I can do that more, of course, but I
> think that the download >7-8M for the game without 3-D graphics is
> unreasonable. Also, can I compile the runtime statically?

Proprietary Non GPL/LGPL code can't statically link with LGPL code,
AFAICT.  Read the LGPL sections 5 and 6 in detail.  You can actually
do it, but you may not be able to (or want to) comply with the
restrictions.  It's probably best to ask a lawyer.

> And can I recompile it with Cygwin rather than MSVC runtime?

Any code built against the Cygwin DLL (which is GPL) *must* be GPL in
order to be redistributable.  Distributing non-GPL code built for
Cygwin is not permitted.  You might want to look at MinGW instead,
which does not have such a restriction.

As for sizes (under Cygwin):
 395754 cygwin/bin/cygatk-1.0-0.dll
 292696 cygwin/bin/cyggdk_pixbuf-2.0-0.dll
2738533 cygwin/bin/cyggdk-win32-2.0-0.dll
2202552 cygwin/bin/cygglib-2.0-0.dll
 441920 cygwin/bin/cyggmodule-2.0-0.dll
 630590 cygwin/bin/cyggobject-2.0-0.dll
6457180 cygwin/bin/cyggtk-win32-2.0-0.dll
 600718 cygwin/bin/cygpango-1.0-0.dll

I think these are unstripped, though.

--
Roger Leigh